Saturday, April 30, 2016

Skip Lightly

I have a hard time sitting. Not because I have A.D. H. D. (I hope) but because I find sitting uncomfortable. This makes all committee work difficult. Those long meetings with people who like to think deeply before sharing their thoughts. Speed it up, I want to say. My butt hurts.

Watching TV is also problematic. I have solved it by skipping rope every ten minutes during the show. Not every day. Just when I've been sitting at a desk instead of writing on my treadmill.  Skipping is also handy when watching thrilling shows like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, because it saves my butt and my nerves. There's only one real problem with it.

It's very hard on my partner. I try to stand off to one side and skip lightly, landing on the balls of my feet and staying in the salt category, rather than the pepper. If you remember skipping games, you'll know what I mean. I bounce from foot to foot, trying to land quietly and avoid heavy, giant sized thudding.

The thing is, I would never skip while watching TV with anyone else. My kids would shoot me, for one, and I'd be too embarrassed with my friends. I like to pretend to be normal when I'm out and about. Only in the privacy of my own home do I allow my inner annoying weirdo to surface.

Most people move through life masking their discomfort or pain. I happen to come from a family with no game at all. When it's slightly cold outside, we wear ski pants and long underwear. In hot weather we rival Scarlett O'Hara's sisters with our limp wristed mewling. (Bill, you're excused from this last accusation.) But avoiding discomfort is of the utmost importance to us. I'm trying to toughen up by a) drinking water before bed and not getting up to pee every half hour. b) Walking in the cold without a balaclava. c) Trying not to complain so much.

This blog is my version of skipping lightly. I'm still complaining, but I'm managing a soft landing, hopping from foot to foot, off to one side, and almost out of sight. See? You've hardly noticed me over here in the corner. I'm not really bothering you at all. Now excuse me while I work on my double dutch routine. I might make a little more noise during it, but I almost always stick the landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment