Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Truth About Hipster Beards


Once upon the new millennium, a guy looked at a photo of Sigmund Freud and said to himself, my facial hair envy is out of control. I must have that beard. I'll shag it up, grow it longer, and throw testosterone around like a final sale at Sears. In an alternate scenario, the same man saw some Amish people driving their buggies into town and was taken aback by the manly ruggedness of it all. Overwhelmed by the desire to join a cult, instead he decided to skip the buggy, the plain clothes and pants that button instead of zip, and grow himself some long, shaggy facial hair. Third option: Tom Hanks in the movie, Cast Away. There it is. The winning look. A magical combination of irony and soul baring honesty. Bingo.

These are the only scenarios I can come up with that will explain the strange phenomena of the hipster beard. I had my first sighting of it in 2012 at my niece Heather's wedding. The fellow was visiting from New Zealand, and my first thought was that he was an actor from the Lord of the Rings movies. His beard had to be at least eighteen inches in length, and fluffy in an eerie and disturbing way. I expected birds to fly out from hidden nests, or a swarm of wasps to descend, the lights to go out and strange maniacal laughter to issue from his lips.This man had a very pretty wife with him. I kept staring at her, wishing I could take her aside.  'I can help you escape,' I wanted to say.

I've read several explanations for the rise of the hipster beard. One theory is that men want to downplay their attractiveness and up their masculine quotient in a bid to find a mate. Others suggest that if a man dresses too well, the beard is his way of saying, I know. I'm awesome, but in case it's too much, here's this beard. You're welcome.

I like beards. My husband has one, and though I wish it was a little less scruffy, it could never be considered hipster. Combined with his Crocs and oversized wardrobe, his style says, 'Not homeless, just admiring the look.' It's an unironic thing.

Ladies, let me know what you think. Perhaps younger women are on board with hipster beards. Maybe its just me. Perhaps snuggling up to eighteen inches of facial hair is a real turn on. I'd like to know for sure. And men with hipster beards, please weigh in on this. I have a feeling there's more to it than meets the eye. And no. I'm not talking about the birds.




2 comments:

  1. Having a partner who takes much pride in experimenting with his beard length and style over the years has given me a larger appreciation of "The Beard". James will most likely live the rest of his life with one well after "the fad" has come and gone, still sporting his beloved flannel shirts just like his father before him. I myself prefer a well groomed, close cropped beard especially over kissing a scratchy face though my one hope is that James never eventually goes to Captain statues or even "gasp" Wizard status beard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But he's a classic, so never complain about that.

    ReplyDelete