Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The Handmaid's Gymnasium

As I left my weight class this morning, I realized that Charles Atlas was right. Nobody wants to have sand kicked in their face at the beach. There's something about feeling stronger that's so empowering, like maybe I can wade into a fight and help someone weaker than me. Which, unless they're a child, is a stretch.

While I'm working out, I'm like all the other gym class submissives. Our bondage mistress, Aunt Tracy, carefully disguises her leathers and whip with gym clothes and a water bottle, but we're not fooled. And yet, when I finish my morning workout, I swagger out of the gym feeling extremely proud. Unless its leg day. Then I'm humbled and hobbled, and feel a bit more like...a handmaiden. The Margaret Atwood kind.

We do this routine called 'Moby' where the name Sally gets thrown around a lot. Not quite sure of the spelling, but it really should have Dick after it, because that's the kind of move it is. There's not many lyrics, its mostly a dark rhythm that doesn't sound too horrific, unless you've spent time with Sally in the past. She's the one in the song ordering us to move up and down in squats and lunges, or while messing around with kettle bells heavy enough to take our heads off. At least four times in the song, we hold our positions, because those segments are thrown in for extra torture. We hold. We hold. And we hold. I've heard some cursing, (okay, it's me) and more than a few prayers. 'Oh God, let it be over, my thighs are about to explode.'

I find myself praying for an open wound or some heart palpitations, so I can leave. What is this feeling? Oh, right. I'm a gym handmaiden. Nothing sexual, of course, unless you count almost impaling myself on the end of my dumbbell. Aunt Tracy is not meanspirited. She is like Wonder woman, and has a vision for us all that some (me) are having trouble grasping. Really? I ask. This is possible? And worse, am I growing used to the pain? Am I liking it?

I accidentally attended a class on New Year's Eve where the whole hour was just that damned Sally and her up and down Moby Dick moves. 'This is helping me,' I reminded myself grimly as I clung to my ring, or my kettle bell, trying to remember everything the commander...I mean, Tracy...had said. Tighten stomach, tuck in butt, don't jut your neck, shoulders down. 'Yes, mistress,' we reply as she strolls past, whip water bottle in hand. She's always smiling, calling out pleasant comments like, 'Are we having fun yet?' Well, of course we're not.

But having said that, by the time I'd finished my 8th class, I'd gone down a whole pants size, and when not hobbling around after a leg workout, I feel kind of amazing. I do believe my robe is looser, and the white hat can't hide my cheerfulness once I've managed to escape  leave class. Anyway, all is well with the occasionally foulmouthed sisterhood of the loosening pants. And while you won't find me entering any weight lifting contests, snow shoveling is a lot easier now. In northern Canada, that's a plus. So, in case you're wondering, will I go back to having my ass handed to me in weight class? You bet.  Besides, I paid upfront, and I kind of like it. Oh, mistress Tracy. You win again.

No comments:

Post a Comment