Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Quentin Tarantino and Me

 Today, I did something I've thought about for a long time. I took the Meyers Briggs personality test. Overall, I'm happy with the results, though it was spooky how right they were about aspects of my personality. Friendly, diplomatic, intuitive and feeling, with 65% assertiveness, and 35% turbulence. I sound like bad weather.

But how in hell did I end up in the same category as Quentin Tarantino? Yes, like most people, I have a dark side. But I've never wanted to set someone on fire, or shoot someone in the face, or... Actually, I haven't seen all of his movies, so I have nothing really to compare it with. I did see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which was enjoyable until things took a turn for the worse in the swimming pool. 

I like to carry spiders outside and I have minimal tolerance for violence. I cry during TV commercials about families and dogs. I listen to the news everyday, but only on the radio for a short time because I want to be informed but bad news weighs on me. I don't think bad news weighs on Quentin. Maybe I've misunderstood his message, though.

The test also mentioned Robin Williams and Robert Downey Junior. I can see similarities to Robin, in that sometimes I don't know when to stop with a joke, and really need someone to take me by the arm and say, 'That'll be enough, now.' I get the feeling that his family probably felt the same way from time to time. 

I don't know anything about Robert Downey Junior except that he's an actor, and I have never wanted that life for myself. In choir, I prefer to hide in the dark with the other altos who like singing and don't want the spotlight. I'm comfortable speaking in public, but acting? Never. If I was in a concentration camp and that was my task, I guess I'd do it. 

My assigned role in the 'Campaigner' category is that of diplomat. While it's true that I'm friendly, (to a fault, I tend to frighten people on the street or have strange men at writer's conferences think I'm hitting on them. I'm not.) My hello's can be a little over the top, though. And I'm not always diplomatic. Occasionally, there is no room for a foot in my mouth because my other one has already taken the spot. When my husband got a call that he had to go to Winnipeg for radiation treatment, the first words out of my mouth were, 'I guess I'm going to miss choir again.' Seriously. My brother in law Brent was a witness. He was astounded. It didn't help when I said, 'I didn't mean to say that out loud.' Now, I loved my husband deeply. But... yeah. No excuse for that one.

Also, I can be a little hot headed. (Perhaps this is where Quentin and I meet!) So if I took a job as a diplomat, I'd last two days, max. If I was the Canadian diplomat to China, I'd be in prison within six hours. I have strong feelings about social justice and clear ideas about right and wrong. This can lead to me coming across as a bit judgmental. As one of my daughters said, "Settle down, Lady Catherine De Bourg.' (If you haven't read Pride and Prejudice, never mind. And I'm not judging you for that, okay?)

For those of you who want to give it a try, here's the link.

https://www.16personalities.com/

Let me know where you land. But only if you want to. (I'm not bossy. So there's that.)


No comments:

Post a Comment